Dogs are such an inspiration!
I’m not sure why, but our big yellow lab always needs to be anchored a piece of furniture while she rests. She startles easily so we’ve learned through experience that we need to be careful what we place on the end tables or risk it jumping too.
As was bound to happen, this time I forgot to be careful.
I can’t be entirely sure if it was a startled furniture-anchored canine or the post-nap living room meeting of the two 85 lbs dogs that always results in a playful throwdown, but sure enough I went to get our son from a nap and came back to half my huge mug of coffee spilled onto the armrest of our SÖDERHAMN sofa and the floor.
Luckily, it’s a crazy yellow couch, so you can see all the progress and the final results extremely well. Thank you, kooky IKEA decor!
Let’s get right to it then.
How to clean fresh coffee off your upholstery/furniture:
- RESIST scrubbing the furniture. This embeds the stain into the fibers.
- Have a clean sponge handy — don’t use one that’s already been washing dishes. I always buy a multi-pack of sponges while at the dollar store so I was in luck.
- Spread the mildest laundry detergent you have and teensy bit of cool water on sponge, then blot the coffee stain all over
- Lightly spritz upholstery with vinegar and water from a spray bottle
- Blot entire soiled area with dry paper towels until what’s blotting off is clear instead of coffee-coloured, and until paper towel is reasonably dry. If it’s still coming out yellowish, lightly spritz again with vinegar/water solution. (You could also use a white tea towel, which is more economical, but it may stain the towel doing so.)
- Allow to air dry
That’s it! If a stain remains (thankfully mine didn’t), treat again with vinegar and water and blot as described above.
If you haven’t been here before, check out my other solutions for common (and often dog-related) household issues:
- How to refresh stinky towels naturally
- How we treated our dog’s feather paws — wait, what?!
- DIY: Muddy mutt mitts
- Pumpkin for dog tummy rumbling
Here’s to short-lived coffee messes! Please leave a comment to let me know if this solution worked for you.